Friday, July 3, 2009

Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

I had the great privilege of being present for an incredible presentation this past week. In celebration of our nation's freedom, my good friend, Sarah AKA "The Queen of Krunk" rapped for our campers a portion of Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech. It was amazing. Wish you'd been there.

With such an important holiday upon us, I've been thinking about how different people celebrate patriotism and liberty. I didn't get much farther than flags, grilling, and fireworks. Then I found myself on a favorite website checking out individual state and US territory mottos (can you guess the website? bet you can!). I wanted to share with you a few that stood out to me:

Kansas: "To the Stars Through Hardships" - What hardships could someone in Kansas possibly have? I've been there. Kansans don't even have so much as a hill to walk up!

Maine: "I Lead" - What? Who is the "I" and what is he or she leading?

New Hampshire: "Live Free or Die" - This is a very popular motto that many people know or have at least heard of. But is it really true? Do people in New Hampshire really fall in line behind this idea? I think a more accurate motto would probably be "Live Free or Bitch About It"

Ohio: "With God All Things Are Possible" - well done, Ohio

Oklahoma: "Labor Conquers All Things" - OK....I did not know Adolf Hitler was from Oklahoma. Learn something new every day.

Puerto Rico: "John is his Name" - someone please research this and get back to me.


Please, be safe this weekend and as often as you think about it, say a special prayer for those who are serving both here in the U.S. and overseas to protect our rights as well as those of others.

Keep It Real!


No comments:

Post a Comment