Monday, February 7, 2011

Worst/Best Weekend Ever

Awful.  I felt just awful.


You know those scenes from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies where the pirates glide down the sails using their swords?  It felt like they were doing that in the back of my throat.


I couldn't swallow a dang thing.  Not even water.  Not even my own saliva.  All I wanted was one of those spit sucker things from the dentist.  That, and the ability to sleep through it all.


I was hoping and praying that it was just the worst sore throat ever but on Saturday night when the tell-tale white patches showed up on my tonsils and my fever was 101.3, I knew it had to be strep.  Dang kids at work.  I know just which one I got it from too.

Note to self: next time said child is in time out at work, make it a few extra minutes longer than needed.

Sunday morning I was set to go to Urgent Care to get some drugs.  A doctor I knew found out I was ill and instead had me come over.  She was kind enough to examine me and write me a couple of prescriptions.  God bless her.  She saved me from the lines at Urgent Care and having to hang out with other sick people, not to mention that $50 co-pay.  God bless her!


With my painkiller and my antibiotics, I was ready to go for the Super Bowl.  I was missing out on a Super Bowl party that was supposed to have been hosted at my house but instead was relocated to a friend's house a few blocks away.  No chips and chili for me.  Just me and the TV.


What a great game!  Scoring those first two touchdowns right from the start was AMAZING.  The half time show was a total trainwreck.  Let me repeat...TOTAL TRAINWRECK.  But it was followed up by the most intense 4th quarter I've ever seen.  The Steelers started making a comeback that didn't go quite as far as they needed it to, but admittedly far enough to make the Packer fans a little nervous.


It felt SO good to win.  If you put yourself out there as a Packer fan, you take a good amount of crap for it.  For the most part, I have resisted returning the sarcastic remarks to the Steeler fans that teased me for the last two weeks.


I woke up today and had to remind myself that it wasn't a dream.  The Packers really did win the Super Bowl.  It's a great day to be from Wisconsin.  It might even be worth having strep for the weekend.


Welcome home, Lombardi Trophy!
Keep It Real!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my dear Packers fan, I am so sorry that you are sick on this weekend and that the party got moved. I suppose your husband went to the party next door and left you alone with the TV. I am so glad your team won and that you will get better soon. Love and cheers.

    ReplyDelete