Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step"

No home in Los Alamos should be without this book:



It is an incredible tool for people like us.  As its name suggests, it lists information about trails all around the area, both in the city limits and out.  We are so blessed to live in a place that has a trail system within the city.  As I have described before, the city is built on a series of mesas which are separated by canyons filled with beautiful forests, hence the venue for the trails.




Anyway, the first chapter of book pictured above is called "Within Los Alamos".  It gives detailed information regarding the 25 trails located in town.  Here are some brief stats:

  • Shortest Trail: .2 mi
  • Longest Trail: 5.9 mi
  • Average: 1.18 mi
  • Total Distance of all 25 Trails: 29.5 mi
I decided yesterday that I'd like to hike each part of all of these trails.  So often, I talk to people who have lived in a place for years and haven't experienced some of the quintessential and easy things that the area has to offer.  I don't want to be that person.  There's so much to do here and it may be that it is impossible to do everything, but this is an attainable goal.  With names like Acid Canyon Trail, Kinnikinnik Trail, Hidden Canyon and Deadman's Trail, who wouldn't want to go for it?  And with 3 trailheads within spitting distance of my house, there's no excuse.


If anyone wants to join me for any of this, let me know! :)


Official Distance Completed To Date: 1.5 of 29.5 miles


Keep It Real!


P.S. - This is the 96th post of my blog since its inception in May of 2009.  Stay tuned for a new look beginning with the centennial post in the very near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment